Glob

« July 2005 | Main | September 2005 »

August 31, 2005

Piazza Anfiteatro, Lucca, Italy

lucca.jpg
This piazza is a good example of everyone defining the plaza agreeing to a common boundary, an old Roman amphitheater, but then building to their own perameters in height. Good prosciutto and melon here as well.

Posted by follett at 08:40 AM | Comments (6)

August 30, 2005

Piazza del Priori, Volterra, Italy

volterra.jpg
I will now start writing about reflections on my trip as one of my friends told me, my descriptions are "predictable." Yes, I guess they are, but I always find descriptions about art to be a little boring, it should say it in the art not in words, as I like to say, "shut up and draw," taken from my skater days of shut up and skate.

Reflecting on my trip in the last few weeks before I go home I wonder what the hell I am doing, a question I ask myself often. Many people, conversations, places come to mind, I will not foget a day, I have had many conversations, many of them disturbing, while others simple in language, but pure in form. Most everyone I have met on my trip all want the same thing. Some good friends to talk with at the end of the day and have a drink weather it be tea, coffee, beer, wine, or a frappe. What I have been looking for is a big room for all the people of the world to sit in and say we are all friends, brothers, and sisters. Many people ask questions about America at the moment and lecture me about our politics and what Americans are doing wrong. I do not disagree with a thing they say, it is a part of the reason I want to explore this world, to learn new and old ways of doing things. One thing I have discovered is we all don't understand each other too well and we all generalize about a place and its people. If there were more American traveling other places then Italy and Greece, I think people would understand how diverse we really are, or maybe the opposite. But I think the important thing is that we look at each other face to face and see we all are the same, we just do things differently. Some people have also said that some of the places I have been are dangerous. I rarely felt in danger in any of these places and if anything I felt safer than at home. Media distirs our sense of reality. They always report the sensational things. If they reported, "in Syria today Aaron walked arm in arm with a bunch of kids down the street because the Syrian and Palestinian kids made a new friend today," I think we would all have a differnt view of what it means to be Syrian and what it means to be an American.

Posted by follett at 08:46 AM | Comments (11)

August 29, 2005

Piazza delle Erbe, San Gimignano, Italy

sangimignano.jpg
A reflection of big rooms, a continuation of the last entry. If we all got in this big room together then maybe would relaize we all great and there is really no evil in the world, it is all a construction by those who are really part of the axis of evil. Those people's goals are not sitting down with a friends, their goal is power, ego, privatization, keeping everything for themselves. Why is privatization so popular these days? When there is a tzunami, a plane hitting a building, or a hurricane why don't we all jump on a plane and help the people out, after all we would if they were our next door neighbor, really are we all not neighbors? We must realize we are all in one big room, it is called earth, or perhaps the universe.

Posted by follett at 09:11 AM | Comments (341)

August 28, 2005

Piazza del Campo, Siena, Italy

sienna.jpg
If there is anything I have found we all love, it is ICE CREAM. People around the world all scream for ice cream. From Marrekesh, to Tunis, to Cairo, to Damascus, to Istanbul, to Athens, to Sarajevo, to Zagreb (they get the record for the largest piles of ice cream in one room that I have ever seen I will try and find the picture), to Rome, people around the world walk around at night all done up, licking with passion something wet, cold, sweet, and soft on their tongue.

Posted by follett at 09:21 AM | Comments (2)

August 26, 2005

Mt Vesuvius, Herculaneum, Italy

vesuvius.JPG
A little photo trickery, did you think it was erupting again? Actually ita a fountain in front of Vesuvius, scared you didn't I?

Posted by follett at 09:29 AM | Comments (1)

August 25, 2005

Pompeii, Italy

pompeii.jpg
Ok, enough joking around, Pompeii has beaituful art work but what it is most famous for is Vesuvius's great eruption which has been well recorded. There are petrified bodies still at the site and they are more alive than any sculpture in stone I have ever seen. When you look at these bodies, you see on their faces and in their body positioning they are witnessing the end of the world. Their very essence brings you to that very moment in time, a sad, sad day.

Posted by follett at 09:37 AM | Comments (0)

Pompeii, Italy

pompeiipenis.jpg
That is right, it is a flying penis, and here I thought the saying was when pigs fly. I will all by you this as a souveneir, k?

Posted by follett at 09:33 AM | Comments (0)

August 24, 2005

Pompeii, Italy

pompeiiangel.jpg
It is as if they new the day was coming, the writing was truly on the walls. I think when people are faced with the chance of death everyday they live a little harder. All the walls of their homes are beautifully painted with angels, flowers, and Vesuvius in the background. Heaven was in their homes until hell came from the sky above, hailing stones, smoke, and burning ash.

Posted by follett at 09:44 AM | Comments (0)

August 23, 2005

Paestum, Italy

paestum.jpg
Paestum has the best preserved Greek temple I have seen on my trip, the travertine stone is very well preserved.

Posted by follett at 09:51 AM | Comments (0)

August 22, 2005

Positano, Amalfi Coast, Italy

positano.jpg
Amalfi Coast is right up there with Dalmatian and southwestern Turkey as the most beautiful landscapes along the water. You look at the water and you just want to jump in or drink it.

Posted by follett at 09:55 AM | Comments (0)

August 21, 2005

Piazza Duomo, Amalfi, Italy

amalfi.jpg
The Piazza Duomo has a monumental stairway leading to the cathedral that essentially fills the entire piazza. Everyone sits on the stair, licking their ice cream, watching the sunset, and the great Italian bodies strutting to and fro.

Posted by follett at 10:02 AM | Comments (0)

August 20, 2005

Fiat, Italy

fiat.jpg
The Fiat will be my next city car, parked in front of that VW I saw in Istanbul. This one is the coolest I have seen, they are everywhere here, freshly painted, with big Italians driving them. Why do Americans have such a size complex, the Italians don't.

Posted by follett at 09:58 AM | Comments (2)

August 19, 2005

Taoromina, Sicily

Taormina.jpg
The most scenic located Greek theater I have been to, and I have been to many at this point. Mt Etna is in the background looming omniously in the clouds above. Taormina city sits between the theater and Mt Etna with its many great piazzas looking onto the great view of the surroundings.

Posted by follett at 10:06 AM | Comments (0)

August 18, 2005

Syracuse, Sicily

syracuse.jpg
Another Piazza del Duomo, this piazza is a slow arching widening of one of the main streets of Syracuse, Via Landolina. The cathedral her was built with and on a Greek temple making for an appropriate take on Christianity.

Posted by follett at 10:19 AM | Comments (0)

August 17, 2005

Sciacca, Italy

sciacca.jpg
Quite possibly the largest pot and stirrer for pasta I have seen. Yes, thats right, I am in Sicily. Thank you to the Castellana's for a great Sicilian experience, from Folletta, the skirt.

Posted by follett at 10:24 AM | Comments (0)

August 16, 2005

The great Lidia Siciliano

lidia.jpg
Quite possibly the best meal I have had on my trip, thank you Lidia for taking such good care of me after a very long painful train ride. I will be able to survive the rest of my trip now. Thank you for showing me all the beautiful clubs of Sicily as well as the great dance show I will never forget, from Architecto Siciliano.

Posted by follett at 10:39 AM | Comments (0)

August 15, 2005

Segesta, Italy

segesta.jpg
I finally got inside one of these things, a perfect time to view at sunset. To see the Sicilian landscape through the first great civilzation that built a temple and admired the surrounding beauty is a good thing.

Posted by follett at 10:29 AM | Comments (0)

August 14, 2005

Montreale, Sicily

montreale.jpg
The cathedrals of Sicily were heavily influenced by earlier Arab conquerers, walls and floors covered in beautiful mosaics.

Posted by follett at 10:36 AM | Comments (0)

August 13, 2005

Palermo, Sicily

palermo.jpg
A Palermo celebration in lights, they spare no expense to celebrate, I should have got a picture of the boat.

Posted by follett at 10:46 AM | Comments (0)

August 11, 2005

Ljubljana, Slovenia

ljubiana2.jpg
Plecnik was able to contribute greatly to the city of Ljubljana's public space. He wanted Ljubljana to be the new Athens, but it seems he was inspired by all great works of architecture. You can see in every piece he worked on some historical reference but yet it still is very Plecnik. He had a very refined eye and possibly a slightly twisted mind.

Posted by follett at 10:49 AM | Comments (61)

August 10, 2005

Ljubljana, Slovenia

ljubiana.jpg
The University Library's entry is a sultry sequence. Quite the opposite from the Library's rough and jaged exterior, the black marble room is all polished smooth with wood insets to warm the grey stark space.

Posted by follett at 10:57 AM | Comments (0)

August 08, 2005

Rovinj, Croatia

rovinj.JPG
The tower of Rovinj is so tall the island looks like it is going to tip over. Luckily it didn't as many of us watched the storm across the Adriatic come to envelop us at sunset.

Posted by follett at 10:12 AM | Comments (340)

Church of St. Donat, Zagreb, Croatia

stdonat.JPG
Built in the Ninth Century, the churches emmense undulating curves are organic in form like many other Byzantine churches but reaches a greater monumentality closer to that of the Hagi Sohia in Istanbul. Soaring above the old Roman Forum it is both heavy in its width and light in its height. This weird justiposition I can only compare to that of the grain elevators in the Midwest of America. The square is also dominated by the tower of Anastasia and is the heart of Zadar.

Posted by follett at 06:27 AM | Comments (51)

August 07, 2005

St Donat, Second Floor Interior, Zagreb

st.donat2.JPG
The second level of the church exposes the many rings where light seeps slowly across its curves.

Posted by follett at 07:31 AM | Comments (8)

August 06, 2005

St. Donat, First Level, Zagreb, Croatia

stdonat1.JPG
The large drum of St. Donat creates an intimate setting while focusing attention of the three apses of soft whilte light and shadow.

Posted by follett at 07:36 AM | Comments (11)

August 05, 2005

Cathedral of St. Lovro,Trogir, Croatia

trogir.JPG
The squares and cathedrals along the Croatian Adriatic Coast scale are increadible in scale in comparison to the pedestrian scale of the streets. This church and possibly this square I believe is my favorite thus far. The church has a large Romanesque loggia in its front that continues horizontally across its front causing the appearance of the tower floating above the square. The tower has no base to rest, a horizontal reveal connects the many different elements of the church together. Across the square is another fine Venetian loggia that I began to sketch but I have run out of steam for, I have been a drawing machine lately, ok, its true, the water is hard to resist as well. The balcony of the church is of great scale here as well, the detail on this church is definately Croatia`s finest.

Posted by follett at 07:54 AM | Comments (13)

August 02, 2005

Diocletian's Palace, Split

split.JPG
The Protiron is the main central square in the old town palace at the intersection of the two main streets. It is well designed square that has incorporated the original Roman ruins and the medieval inhabitants homes. Its sunken courtyard connects vertically the market below and the dome above as well as horizontally the Temple of Jupiter and the Catherdral of St. Domnius. The layering of the Roman monuments with the medieval walls creates one of the finest heroic rooms to watch the great talents of the people of Split such as singing, dancing and music.

Posted by follett at 08:07 AM | Comments (10)

August 01, 2005

Split

romandrum.JPG
A great Roman room to watch the sun's movement across a room.

Posted by follett at 10:33 AM | Comments (10)

MAIN ROOM